How to Play
Ranking / Rating
Using this app
- You must be logged on. If you are not logged on, you will be able to see a "Log on with Facebook" button above. Click this and approve the app.
- In some browsers, approving the app will involve allowing a blocked pop-up.
- Once logged-on, you will see your games listed and these instructions will be hidden. You can open them again at any time.
- Using this app is free for players in the bottom (starting) division. Once you earn promotion, an annual subscription is required.
- is played on the Facebook Scrabble app using the Collins dictionary.
- is open to all. Please invite your worthy opponents.
- Each round lasts two weeks starting on alternate Sundays at 06:20 GMT.
- During that time, you play one game against each other player in your division (usually about 12 games).
- You must register for each round you wish to play. Registration for the next round opens on the middle Sunday of the previous round.
- Please do not register unless you seriously expect to play the games in the time. On the other hand, please be patient with people who cannot play every day; some have busy lives, others have medical conditions that make it difficult for them.
- Newcomers start in the bottom division but with a middle-of-the-range Elo rating of 5000.
- Players are ranked within their divisions, first by number of games won, then by total points won less total points lost. This app updates the ranking every time a score is entered.
- At the end of the round, the three players at the top of each division are promoted.
- In order to re-register you must have recorded first words for all your games and completed all but three of them.
We strongly recommend you use the Google Chrome
web browser to play Scrabble so you can install the Owl Word Games Enhancer
extension. Benefits of the owl include:
- A free tile tracker that works better than the EA version.
- A notes facility so you don't forget that clever play while waiting for your opponent.
- Links to Google definitions of valid words.
- Sorts your rack alphabetically.
- Links to your opponents' Facebook profiles.
- Counts of your pending games in each category.
- Adds the ability to place tiles by clicking on them.
- Optionally labels the rows 1-15 and the columns A-O in standard reference format.
- There is also rumoured to be an "easter egg" that blocks the adverts between moves. Chat to people in the discussion group to find out more.
- There is a discussion group for this app at FSL Scrabble League. You are encouraged to join and get to know the other players. You will be made welcome by Daniel and his team of merry admins.
- Select an historical round (back to round 14) from the dropdown to see the state of play at the end of that round.
- Clicking on "View all games" in the results table will show details of every game in the division. This works for historical rounds as well as the current round. Click on one of the results and you will see the results of every game those two players have ever played in the league.
- Clicking on a player's name in the results table will show you the detail of their games in the round, including historical rounds.
- Our outstanding players are celebrated in the Hall of Fame. (Use the link in the main heading for a personalised version that shows all your best scores.)
- For email notifications, go to "Your Settings" in the Scores/Settings menu.
- Update your status to let other players know you will be offline for a while. The option to do this is in "Your Settings" in the Scores/Settings menu.
- Average scores highlighted in gold are more than a standard deviation above the mean for the division.
- Wins with a blue background indicate that the player is, so far, unbeaten in the round.
- Please report any bugs, having first reviewed the known bugs in the Bug Reports section of the Scores/Settings menu.